Sunday, December 4, 2011

Journal #14:  When I read the quote, “He does not possess wealth, it possesses him,” what immediately comes to my mind is that once someone attains a certain level of wealth, the power they feel begins to change them.  I know this because it has happens to me every time I am in control of large amounts of money.  At that point I feel like I’m on top of the world.  To have millions of dollars would indeed drive me to be controlled by my wealth.  This quote is saying that people are greedy pigs that only care for themselves and no others.  I believe that it takes a strong man to maintain his humane personality while still having tons of money.  I clearly remember receiving a tarot card reading and my tarot said to beware of abuse of power and money.  I believe that I cannot be entrusted with large sums of money without losing what little sense of humanity I have left.  As I asked in my previous TOK presentation, can people be trusted with power? In my case, the answer is no.  We all have a breaking point in which the money and other luxuries we possess start to overwhelm us and destroy us.  Then again, of all the millionaires and billionaires that I know of, they all seem to be very generous in giving scholarships or donations.  But as I said before, we only look out for ourselves.  Maybe they only seek good publicity from the media.  From what I’ve seen, this view of humanity is not cynical, but realistic.  I see very few people that willingly help their community.  So why would these types of people help the community without seeking some sort of compensation?

No comments:

Post a Comment