Sunday, December 4, 2011

Journal #16:  One of my most significant experiences in my life that I’ve had was when I went sky diving for my sixteenth birthday.  This event is important to me because it almost obliterated all of my fears.  Once I got on the plane, I couldn’t stop shacking until my instructor told me it was time to jump.  Since I was under aged, I had to jump strapped to my instructor.  The worst part was when he jumped because he did it so quickly.  The first few seconds were absolute terror.  Then, I sealed my eyes and just felt like I was flying.  Never have I felt at peace except for those few minutes, until I heard the instructor yell profanities and saying that the parachute would not open.  At that point, I felt the reality of the situation and my first response was to start praying.  I was praying for forgiveness of all my sins and hoping that I would be spared from death.  Then I hear the instructor say, “I got you didn’t I?”  He pulled the shoot and we started floating down to the ground.  At that point, I felt like killing him for doing that, but at the same time I was grateful that he did that because never did I feel more alive than when I was closest to death.  So close in fact that I could envision him falling down with us.  After that day, a great number of my fears went away, and I decided to do my first communion so I could confess.  This experience has greatly changed my view of life for the time being.  I will soon return to being a cynical and sadistic child that I was before.  Regardless, this experience was tremendous for me and I would definitely do it again if it means attaining peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment