Sunday, December 4, 2011

Journal #3:  something that I have learned in the classroom and integrated into my non academic life is my knowledge of the placebo effect.  Once, I was at my grandmother’s house with all of my family and friends.  As we were eating at the dinner table, my three year old cousin was complaining that her foot was hurting.  Knowing the basic concept of the placebo effect, I gave her a smarties candy, knowing that she would not recognize it.  I told her that if she ate it, her pain would go away.  Surely enough, she took it and about a half an hour later, her pain went away.  I explained to my uncle the concept of the placebo effect and he was so surprised to see its affects.  At that moment, I felt like I was the smartest child in the world, knowing that I had used something that I learned in school and applied it to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment